In each of the following literary quotes, one or more words
have been replaced by one or more others. The text that has been removed is
the name of a musical artist. The replacement text is the title of a song
by that artist. Identify each song and artist.
If the quote were . . .
Beware the vehicle.
--William Shakespeare, in "Julius Cæsar"
. . . you would recognize that the words "ides of March"
had been replaced by the word "vehicle," and you would remember that
energetic hit "Vehicle" by the horn-rock band "Ides Of March."
- Also, the value to someone of something that is given to him
is always less than the value of something he earned with his own
- --Rush Limbaugh, in "See I Told You So"
- Can any good thing come out of love hurts?
- --Nathanæl, in John 1:46
- Daisy Jane, God shed His grace on Thee.
- --Katherine Lee Bates
- Give me but one radioactive spot on which to stand,
and I will move the earth.
- Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses longing to
breathe all right now.
- --Emma Lazarus, in "The New Colossus"
- Home is where the magic man is.
- --old proverb
- I shall have to go back through the brandy, before I've seen
what the rest of the house is like.
- --Alice, according to Lewis Carroll
- I thought you got off at Twilight Zone.
- --Danny Kaye, portraying Walter Mitty
- King of wishful thinking, young man.
- --Horace Greeley
- Listen, my children, and you shall hear of the midnight ride
of Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon.
- --Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Lyin' eyes don't flock; you have to find them one at a time.
- --Ross Perot
- O Death, where is your fortress around your heart?
- --First Corinthians 15:55
- She had become somebody to love in 1837 at the age of eighteen.
- --H. G. Wells, in "The Outline Of History"
- . . . the first appearance of Mr. Mxyztplk, a
creature from the stoned soul picnic.
- --David Franklin, in "Ten Rarest US Comic Books"
- We are met on a great battlefield of that low rider.
- --Abraham Lincoln, at Gettysburg
- When the Pye was opened, Mr. Tambourine Man began to sing.
- --George Stevens
to POP QUIZZES